Chromebook Pixel info from Steegle.com
The rumours were true! The Chromebook Pixel is real! After the leaked video, which appeared to be faked, the ultimate Chromebook is real and the Chromebook Pixel was released by Google!
Every so often in technology there is a so-called paradigm shift, when the technology doesn't just evolve but there is a revolution. You can think of this when the World Wide Web was created, when eCommerce became prevalent and even when email and SMS messaging became ubiquitous and revolutions our communications from the Fax machine. Perhaps the Chromebook Pixel is that device!
It raises the game - so for Chromebooks which in some have been considered as a "poor mans" device or an extra computer - now its something to crave for like a Macbook
- Its moves laptop genre forward with a touchscreen retina display
- Its made by Google themselves!
- Upcoming 4G LTE
- Finally - we think this device will have potential to morph with new software or firmware as Google have hinted "For whats next"
- Battery life (5 hours is long but not as good as the 8 hours offered by the Samsung Series 5)
- Cost!! (but perhaps this will come down)
- 12.85" display with a 3:2 aspect ratio
- 2560 x 1700, at 239 PPI
- 400 nit screen
- Gorilla® Glass multi-touch screen
- Backlit Chrome keyboard
- Fully clickable, etched-glass trackpad
- HD Webcam
- Intel® Core™ i5 Processor (Dual Core 1.8GHz)
- Intel® HD Graphics 4000 (Integrated)
(Chromebook specifications courtesy of the Google Play Store with more specifications available)
Google has developed and built the device itself without any kind of compromise. Google have chose to go for an unusual aspect ratio, 3:2, as they say that 16:9 and 16:10 are from the film industry and that's not the main function of a laptop or how we want to view the web. The Chromebook Pixel offers a very high-powered processor, which needs to be, to power the super high-resolution touchscreen.
As a bonus purchasers get 1TB of storage in Google Drive.
All this high specification comes at a cost: $1299 USD or £1049 GBP for the WiFi only version, with a 4G LTE version for the US in April. You can pre-order the Chromebook Pixel now at the Google Play Store.